Tuesday, August 12, 2008

2008 Doll and Teddy Bear Expo-Washington, DC


Ethidolls representatives proudly display their new ethnic dolls!






On Saturday, August 9th I attended the 2008 Doll and Teddy Bear Expo in NW Washington, DC. This was my first time attending and I was in awe of the many dolls shown in the various categories. The majority of the dolls shown were either porcilean or ceramic. These are the kind of dolls that boutique toy stores would sell or serious collectors would want to buy. I browsed around the expo with interest snapping photos of dolls that were of interest to me. I wandered over the Ethidolls display and spoke with representatives about their ethnic doll line. What intrigued me about their product is that their African doll series are thoroughly researched right down to the fabric and clothing their dolls wear. In addition, they discussed how their dolls are manufactured and that most major doll manufacturers tend to place a light color over their dolls that can be easily scratched off.

I observed a number of ethnic dolls, in particular, African American dolls in the show. This tells me that there are a lot of collectors and the market is ripe for these kinds of dolls. This is encouraging.

No comments: