Thursday, January 15, 2009

Art For The People Invite Yours Truly For A Talk and Demonstration on Doll Art








Artists Marilyn Banner and Alice Simms, Director for Art For The People Incorporated, kindly invited me to conduct a demonstration and show case my dolls at the Thursday art class at Community Visions in downtown Silver Spring. Marylin and Alice had seen my artwork at the Kefa Cafe recently. They loved my mixed media art dolls and thought I would be a good speaker to discuss the art of making mixed media dolls. I was so thrilled at the invitation.

Art for the People Incorporated is a nonprofit organization engaged in teaching and sharing the arts with the Washington, DC area homeless population. Every thursday morning between 10 am - 12 noon, the organization conducts art classes for the homeless at the Community Visions Shelter and center in Silver Spring, MD.

I was delighted to see several members of the class of all different diverse backgrounds interested in the craft of mixed media doll making. All were eager to get started on a mixed media doll project.

After the discussion, Alice gave me a brief tour of the Community Visions Center and showed me various art work that members of the center had created. All of the creations I saw was simply wonderful. Members of this community are some of the most talented artists I had ever seen!


I wish to thank Alice Sims and Marilyn Banner for the opportunity to reach out to the community and share my dolls and art.

No comments: