Sunday, July 5, 2009

My Artist's Date in Solomons, Maryland: Art & Nature!















Folks, there comes a time where you have to take yourself on an artist's date. Not just any artist's date but one where you truly immerse yourself in a totally different environment than you normally do. For those of you who don't know an artist's date is one that was popularized by the book entitled, "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. See the May posts for more information about her and my experience with her workshop.

Last week I went to Solomon's Island, Maryland which is about an hour away from where I live in Washington, DC. I stayed at the Solomon's Victorian Inn a lovely place where I found the inn keepers, Helen and Richard a true joy to stay with. The place was so nicely landscaped and serene. I felt I wanted to stay there forever. It was truly about art and nature and my being.

First, because of my feng shui studies I am considered a weak water element. Which means that water and surrounding myself with it nourishes and replenishes all that I am. Therefore I needed to be near water which Solomons has a lot of.

Second, I wanted to be inspired by nature, water and art and to my surprise I successfully had acquired all three!

My room had a lovely view of the boat docks and was very comfortable.

I traveled around the island visiting various places, particularly the eateries such as the CD Cafe and the Four Winds Cafe taking in all the good seafood I can possibly stomach.

The highlight however, was visiting Anne Marie Garden Sculpture Park and Arts Center .

This artful delight provided me a sense of true artistic delight as I roamed the outdoor sculpture park filled with various sculptures borrowed from the Smithsonian Institution. The highlight was the "Woman's Walk" which featured various sculptures of women in various forms. This was truly a spiritual experience.

The sculptures that I experienced really set the mood and provided me inspiration for the doll work and mixed media work I do.

As I walked the grounds of the park I felt very meditative. I took as many photos as I could to provide me memories of this glorious experience with you.

If you are an artist or even if you are not, consider taking yourself on an artist date. It is one of the best mental health experiences you can give yourself.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments: