Sunday, March 21, 2010

A BIG Doll Find at a Quilt Show in Prince George's County, MD


This is the giant doll I witness at the entrance of the quilt exhibit.

This weekend I while attending the celebration the Grand Opening of the Gateway Arts Center, I happened upon a wonderful exhibition of the Uhuru Quilters Guild of Prince George's County entitled "Freedom: Contemporary African American Quilt Art." This exhibition tool place at the Prince George's African American Museum and Cultural Center's Gallery 110.

According to the website for the Prince George's African American Museum and Cultural Center:

"Freedom: Contemporary African American Quilt Art" aims to capture the dynamic creative energy that fuels the Prince George’s County-based Uhuru Quilters Guild. It is a vivid snapshot of continuity and change. Some quilts evoke the style of past eras, while others are explicitly contemporary. Diverse techniques have been joined together in an array of colors and fabrics to create a single, yet multi-voiced statement about an often-overlooked African American art form. Each stitch helps to preserve and perpetuate an important cultural and visual tradition."

Now, I had no idea that this exhibition was there and was happy to view the beautiful quilt work of the artists.

Outside the entrance to the gallery I beheld one of the most magnificent art dolls I had ever seen. I had to take a photo of it to document my find!

The exhibit, "Freedom: Contemporary African American Quilt Art" will be showing at Gallery 110 through May 15th.

No comments: