Friday, October 16, 2009

Creativity!



Wow Martha Beck got me on this one. As one of the other blogger's mentioned, I thought this chapter would be one that helps us explore our creativity. Quite the opposite. She wants us to explore our enemies, our failures, look at doing something completely different when we are approaching creativity.

Failure as creativity?? Wow that made me sit down! I have had my share of those and yes they were true learning experiences! The other suggestion examines your enemies (or the street term "haters"), list their traits and consider whether their traits are some I should take on? Heavy dose of medicine on that one. Somehow I do not feel comfortable lamenting on their negative energy.

So this is what I decided to do on this one. I decided that I would be creative in exploring new activities such as snow boarding for example. I decided to try something completely new and completely outside my element. Do something different each month-(I am not going to say each week) and use that as a creativity exercise to think differently about my desires and goals. Not sure what those activities will be but I am certain I will find plenty of new experiences.

14 comments:

GraceGal said...

Your post encouraged me. I was able to see that I did make progress this week. I was reminded of something new I tried. I never connected it with creativity.

Diva Nay said...

I've always wanted to learn how to ski. Maybe one day, when I have no knee problems!

Sherry said...

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!! Doing something different every month (or whenever it's comfortable) and discovering new ways to look at life in a creative venue. YES!!!

Haters...that is the term these days, isn't it? Life is MUCH too short to waste time on that (so I've learned..the hard way!)...let it go, just let it go. If I find myself "chafing" at someone over something I can look inward and ask "why" and come up with a good answer.

I'd rather spend my time experimenting, trying and failing and learning...I've been doing it my whole life, just as you said you have.

Here's to discovering new things for us to try!!

Lawendula said...

Read my blog, I just feel the same about the enemies!
Is this all about joy, I'm asking.

Grammy said...

I am glad to here this is working for you and you are moving on to create.

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

Rather than say enemies, it might have been better for Martha to say - people you no longer like - bec. of they way they are. Thanks for sharing.

Karen D said...

Thanks for sharing your week of creativity. I think I will use your example and do one thing differently this month.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you are willing to grab onto some of the ideas that you connected to, and let go of the rest. That's what it's all about! I look forward to hearing about your journey in doing things new and differently!

Jean said...

I, too, focused on Failure as Creativity. I have spent so much of life trying NOT to fail...this was a radical thought for me - although not new.

I'm still working on it and loving all the different tidbits I am getting from all the other bloggers. Thank you!

Angie said...

I have been asking myself similar questions about creativity too and realised that yes it's not all about painting as creativity but stretching ourselves to think out of the box! I would love to learn snow boarding. If only it snowed here in Brisbane!

Kim said...

A great way to creatively make the book work for you!!

Kathryn V. Crabbe said...

Definitely this was a tough chapter - surprisingly so!

Thanks too for popping into my "Creativity" post and I hope this coming week is more fun!

Kathy C.
http://SoulReaderBlog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like doing something different too. Here's to your many new adventures. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'll see you next week during risk. Love this weeks doll. :) Take care.

Lexington said...

I really love the way you described doing things differently. Thank you so much for being inspirational and for sharing your journey with creativity. As always, your doll is gorgeous.